You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-30 08:57:30

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Stunning Victory for BigSalty

Congratulations to Big Salty and their top team rider for smashing the victory at the Cornwall Wave Classic!! Incredible display of jumping and riding skills, awesome to watch the battle unfold.

#2 2018-10-31 17:21:31

The Team
Administrator

Re: Stunning Victory for BigSalty

Lobsterfunkdaddy, thanks - it has been a long time to get there but it all fell in to place. Wahoo!

My goodness competition heats are intense. You need maximum concentration and composure and even if you have the skills to throw down, you may only get the waves or ramps to offer up a percentage of what you are capable of. But still you have to accept that in the 10 or so minutes adapt. Also hoping you don't get side swiped by any waves and lose your kit. Everyone is in the same boat. Whether you win or lose, is sometimes independent of whether you have a good heat or not.

I finished off thinking that I didn't have a good enough super final heat as I wanted, but as far as the results were concerned, it was good enough. Lucky for me that is, because Phil was absolutely ripping and shows that even on the tack he doesn't get much practice on (Starboard) he goes big.

How did you feel about the event from your side of the draw - did you get some good action and how about Theo's first foray in to competition? You're overall position 8th when I last looked, is looking tasty. Did you finish in the top 10?  I saw what I think was a super stylish forward of you on Facebook which I think was labelled incorrectly as someone else. Did you see it?

Shame you and Theo didn't get to properly hang out in the Con Tiki Tour Bus, but as ever things were pretty hectic, the vibes were good.

The Big Salty TeamBig Forecasts, Big SaltyBigsalty Weather on FacebookBigsalty Weather on Twitter

#3 2018-11-13 14:36:25

Lobsterfunkdaddy

That free sailing session on the Sunday at Gwithian was great, so many friends ripping and having a good time. The conditions for your super final weren't the best but you still proved to be the better sailor.

You're a true inspiration though for home grown graft. Its given me determination to cast off the pipe and slippers of Avon and get round to Southbourne more often to get some action, or travel a little at home to improve in bigger conditions.

On the Friday I had a poor first heat, getting rinsed in the white water and loosing tension on the boom clamp. Then Theo and i went to Daymer Bay - what an incredible spot! It was strong NW and rocking there. The Doom Bar was massive and munching, then there was both port and starboard tack jumping and wave riding on each side of the estuary! I had no chance of driving back for the double elimination but I don't think it would have made a big difference! I finished 12th on the tour, coming ahead of two other ex-amateurs. This was more a statistical anomaly rather than clean won heats, but I'll take it! Top 10 is the ambition for next year and to nail some good heats.

Despite the training plan....Avon has been rocking this last week!. It was pretty on-shore, which in the past I've not enjoyed, but it was great jumping and I really liked it!

It seems like the Atlantic storm machine is in full swing this year so hopefully it will be a great winter

#4 2018-11-19 15:40:42

Lobsterfunkdaddy

I bet the Big Salty Angle Grinder app had some hits this weekend! With the easterly airflow established and a tantalizing SW swell it was a real conundrum where would work best. Bigbury clearly had it all (especially for a certain photogenic B Page) but closer to home there seemed to be a mix of theories.

A fundamental problem was the wind strength that came through was quite a bit less than forecast. With the air coming overland I reacon there was more drag than we normally have. Highcliffe was sheltered and reports from Weymouth Bay were disappointing.

In the end Southbourne came up trumps. A morning of port tack familiarisation at Avon saw some very odd waves with wind against tide chop crossing with the groundswell. Good fun but it felt very strange. Beerpan and the Christchuch Ledges looked insane, but it would have been a mission from Avon to get there and from Southbourne a large wind shadow from Hengistbury Head made getting there seem impossible. However the ENE wind was flowing nicely over the sand dunes making for some excellent float and ride conditions opposite Harbour Road. I got there about 2:30 and expecting the posse to arrive, I hung around. Initially it looked like there were no waves, but lingering further, these dreamey sets of waves would purr in every now and again. The swell forecast was for about 2.5@12. The tide was now coming in and the sand bar was working at its very best. It took me about half and hour to pluck up courage and venture out solo. It looked pretty light on the inside and we all know what a miss-timed launch can result in! Once out back the wind angle felt workable and the game was on to dial in to the swell sets. Often a swell line would shoot in underneath you despite concerted positioning effort, but sometimes a lucky gust or burst of energy to pump in would be rewarded with a surge in acceleration down the line with a smoooooth face, jacking up fast and steep. I have to admit to dodging quite a few of he heaviest sections but on one wave I bottom turned deep then hit the section for a thrilling aerial. The boost was insane. I failed to pull in my back leg and landed on my back in the rumbling froth, but with a massive grin. When I came in for a break I let the posse know it was going down but when Bubble arrived we got one wave before the wind naffed off totally. I only caught half a dozen waves but they were pure quality, these are conditions I'll definitely hunt for again.

Last edited by Lobsterfunkdaddy (2018-11-19 16:06:10)

#5 2018-11-21 21:48:38

The Team
Administrator

Great to read how your day went and particularly interesting hearing a bit more about southbourne - makes me wish I was there to make the most of that and share the experience. From my experience of Southbourne in a high period swell it's quite an intimidating wave because it moves so quickly and consequently breaks so quickly and heavy on the bar. It's sort of all or nothing, no in between. Sound like you gave it the 'all' setting for your aerial - well done man.

Next time I want to be there too!!

I also really wanted to be around to give the Beerpan rocks wave another go and suspect it could have been firing as you've hinted at from your eyeball. It also looked like neaps tide with a slack when the wind was set to be good. I'd have loved to have gotten a perspective out there to get a feel what that extra bit of East wind did to it. Perhaps it was a bit windier out there as well.. The trick to get out there is to either walk / cycle gear up to Long Groyne or park in hengistbury head car park and windsurf up through the harbour and over the sandbank. Not as much of a mission as it seems.

Bigbury was incredible on Saturday morning and Sunday morning by all accounts. As you know I was down Dartmoor way soaking up the mist and fog with the family. A lovely camping trip and good test of the thermal insulation of the van (pretty alright as it turned out). We found ourselves an out of the way car park on the Saturday night after a long hike and settled in for the evening. Not the most sheltered spot as it turned out with the Easterly battering us down a valley but good and quiet. Nice to be out in the wild with the anticipation of windsurfing the next day but I couldn't help but thinking it was going off and I was missing it at the bay.

Still a family camping trip it was and I held fast since two days at the beach might have given the game away so I settled for what I thought would be top dollar on Sunday. In the event, I probably rocked up too late on Sunday. I think most of the hoodlums had been there for a couple of hours. I found it pretty hard to get on the waves to start with trying to get my positioning right and frustratingly never really got a proper set wave that opened out. And then it seemed the tide got too high or the swell dropped significantly. This left me wishing I'd invested a bit more time in my favourite hobby! All said and done, it was great seeing the place hold such a good sized swell. I was impressed. One end of the bay was logo high plus, the other chest high and everyone was getting a go. It was busy, but not too busy.

So fun had by all and epic seeing the photos, as you said some classic shots from Ben and also Timo, Jamie, Paul, Andy. Unfortunately for Hunty he fractured his foot and had to get a lift to A & E with Chris Audsley (who had only just gotten out). So hope he heals up quickly.

It's so exciting having this sort of novelty direction set up. I was all fired up for getting out again today with the swell forecast, but I actually did something to my knee on the Sunday just pushing a rail turn which has left me limping and requiring a bit of time off the water to strengthen it up. Will see how that goes.

Next bit of wind that comes through, I hope to be back on form for some more adventures and location testing!!

The Big Salty TeamBig Forecasts, Big SaltyBigsalty Weather on FacebookBigsalty Weather on Twitter

#6 2018-12-05 19:22:09

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Hope all the injuries are mending good, some interesting conditions forecast for the weekend. Last Wednesday and Thursday were good at Avon, some chunky swell getting through with some very nice wave riding opportunities. The swell lines were quite cut up, not the really long walls we had last year in storms, maybe the shingle banks between avon and the hengistbury ledges need more storm work to shape up to the best.

#7 2018-12-07 16:52:17

The Team
Administrator

Yep - I think that as soon as the swell period increases, those long waves will be back. I'm glad you've been getting out on the water plenty. I've been enjoying catching up on the action at the Avon Beach group. That wave you got filmed was very nice, lots of nice vertical turns. Plus that back loop crash was high! That's the stuff!!

Thinking of getting back on the water as of tomorrow and testing out the knee. Thinking a session at Southbourne or Avon Beach then Sunday is screaming out for a Bench session. I'm going to get there and hope to see you if you can make it.

#8 Yesterday 17:59:55

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Wow what a weekend! Started off Friday pm with a great cross on jumping session at MoS in a W wind with nice sunshine
MoS-sunshot.jpg

Saturday Avon for some surprisingly nice wave riding...... and then a difficult logistical situation on Sunday with ambitions for Bench heaven like I suspect many people had. I was happy to put eldest son's football obligations first though and enjoyed the 7-3 win and then decided to visit Milford again for the afternoon as the NW wind direction and falling tide are just the conditions to make it rock. It was brilliant with the angry sea state moderating a little to reveal lovely lines of surf coming in. Later joined by Greg B on the water and Nicky with the camera.
2018_12_09-MoS-sunset-with-GB.jpg
The wave was the best I've ever ridden there, proper down the line with mad acceleration on the smooth faces and some lovely tight pockets. Even popped some little aerials. The wind was a little to gusty up by the end of the beach huts but infront of the maincarpark was sweet!

The Bench looked like a repeat of the Jan 1st scenario, well done to those that scored the session, to catch those conditions when the firing range is open to access is a wonder to behold! Cann't wait for the story and piccies! From what I have seen so far it must have been huge!

Board footer