You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-13 10:06:13

captain bob

Weather condition reporting

Hello,
I'm wondering where the discrepancy comes from between weather forecast and wind forecast. For example, this coming Saturday for North Berwick, Scotland notes under weather forecast "wave" being 9.9ft at 1000 and under wind forecast at the same time shows a wave of  3.1' and a swell of 3.2'. I can only assume that the 9.9ft comes from combining or nearly so the wave and swell. I can't understand the differences in the 2 situations. Does this make sense? Any comments?

#2 2017-04-14 16:23:35

The Team
Administrator

Re: Weather condition reporting

That's a good question. I'll do my best to clear up any confusion. There will be a discrepancy between the swell / wave forecasts for each of these pages because they rely upon wave model data of different resolutions. The likelihood is that the swell & wave forecasts for the 'Wind forecast' page is the more accurate in general because this relies upon a swell seed point that is closer to the coast and also uses a swell forecast with a higher resolution. The chances are that on the particular model update present when you looked (they both now broadly agree), the 'Weather Forecast' page, was picking up a swell band farther out to sea that was absent from the model picking it's seed points closer to the shore.

And just to confirm that the swell / wave heights represent not breaking wave height at the beach but the height prior to forming a breaking wave.

Your question has prompted me to make a small but significant change to the wording of the table though. You mentioned the 'wave' reading on the 'Weather forecast' page. This should really say 'swell' which I have changed.

You may wonder what the point is having the lower resolution swell forecast still but it does tend to give a broad picture in many cases that is considerably useful.

Any further questions, let me know I'll be checking in intermittently over the weekend.

Thanks for having a keen eye.

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty
Bigsalty Weather on Facebook
Bigsalty Weather on Twitter

Board footer