You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-07 14:39:19

The Team
Administrator

Home gold

In the past 6 months I've windsurfed Southbourne about once, maybe twice.

On Sunday I managed a quick hours session and was glad to see Charlie out there making the most of it because it is such a unique spot. Constantly mutating, waves breaking hard on to the beach and off the bar, wind chop everyone it requires constant attention. It's a fascinating place to windsurf. So much so, I'm feeling pretty sad that the next quality Southbourne forecast is probably a way off due to this on the whole, very settled winter we've had. The 15 day jet stream forecast also alludes to this.

Now, I'm grateful I had the opportunity to holiday in Tenerife with the family but it was mildly disappointing that arguably the most consistent patch of wind came through home waters whilst I was out of the country. Glad for all of you cats getting out and I'd love to hear more about your exploits, but it put in to perspective just how good our home turf is. You can keep the sunshine and the warm water, I'd rather go looking for gold in the cold waters at home given the choice.

There's so much variety and potential on our shores. It needs to be made the most of.

The Big Salty TeamBig Forecasts, Big SaltyBigsalty Weather on FacebookBigsalty Weather on Twitter

#2 2017-03-08 11:32:58

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Re: Home gold

Yep, had two cracking sessions on your home turf when you were away. It really felt like we'd broken into your back garden and were playing with all your toys. The first was a mental 3.7 full on nuke day with modest swell and straight westerly wind direction. It was incredible how the chop got stretched flat on the outer bank leaving some buttery smooth faces to carve and turn. The jumping was survival mode with just a few house high rocket airs. I'm sure you would have been busting out the tricks. This Sunday just gone was also very good, although the high tide made for a different scenario. Again overpowered, on 4.2, jumping was a fight for control and the riding a bit more choppy and onshore. A double dip at Avon revealed a stark contrast with cross-off down the line riding on some sweet chest high faces. Hopefully some more opportunities for water time in whatever form...

#3 2017-03-14 15:01:56

The Team
Administrator

Beer cans and bottles all over the garden from the celebrations by the looks of it. Good to know the conditions haven't been going to waste and nice to get an insight in to the days in question. Seems like the last Sunday, the tide didn't quite play ball with the wind. A lower tide might have worked better. It was only a shame from my point of view to miss out on the social side on the water watching you all go big.

Anyhow, Avon Beach sounded great. And a nice change from the Southbourne chaos.

I'm keeping my eyes on next weekend for some catch up play, but the forecast looks like it's being downgraded. Meantime, I might try and catch some of this surf...

The Big Salty TeamBig Forecasts, Big SaltyBigsalty Weather on FacebookBigsalty Weather on Twitter

#4 2018-09-18 11:43:39

KraftM

Is Southbourne still in chaos btw? I'm thinking of visiting there soon-ish.

#5 2018-09-19 07:48:29

Lobsterfunkdaddy

All the coastal engineering works have been finished at southbourne and only a couple of weeks until free car parking by the slipway, happy days!

#6 2018-09-24 08:09:33

The Team
Administrator

That winter parking could have been handy on Friday. You arrived just in time to get your parking spot before the remainder of the pro fleet descended!

I noticed quite a few of the larger rocks and blocks of concrete excavated by the beach works precariously hidden under the water line on the Friday (possibly the very things that dealt with my board). Next time I'm there at low tide I'm going to make sure those are lifted out and taken up the beach.

What a session, cross shore Southbourne at its best for a time...

#7 2018-09-26 14:27:12

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Yes incredible session at Southbourne, stunning conditions, great showcase for the BWA. The windy drizzle at Avon the following day was fun too for the freewave competition.

I've been incredibly fortunate with kit so far at Southbourne with no breakages there until Friday. I guess it was only a matter of time playing chicken riding the shoredump and with the added excitement of the comp that something was going to give... There is actually a 1/4 length of snapped mast still floating around that I was unable to recover so watch out!

Board footer