You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-01 12:56:59

The Team
Administrator

Windsurfing Southbourne Afternoon

Looking good this afternoon for a sunny session at Southbourne. Great fun on Wednesday at Avon Beach with some cross shore although felt very much like winter. May I wish everyone an early exit from work today and if any of yous can get down to Southbourne for some cross onshore trickery. See you there.

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty
Bigsalty Weather on Facebook
Bigsalty Weather on Twitter

#2 2016-07-02 08:23:26

The Team
Administrator

Re: Windsurfing Southbourne Afternoon

Looking like the planets are aligning today. Sun's out sea's blue wind's up and even the tide is right for an early afternoon session at southbourne. Can't wait. Hopefully see some hoodlums.

Got an eyeball on Hengistbury head now. Playable on a 5.3m with a big board. Bit of wind swell kicking around. There's a day of good living ahead of us.

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty

#3 2016-07-02 10:27:03

Charlie W

Great sunny windy sail at Milford On Sea yesterday from 4 'till 6pm. 4.7 & 82 Quad had me planing 70% of the time. Highlight was one solid dtl off the lip rocket. Fair chunky sets coming through for July, around boom up to head height. Pretty on shore messy of course, but happily stayed above the killer rock defences (for once!).

Tempted to give Highcliffe a go today. Otherwise probably see you at Southbourne

#4 2016-07-04 10:44:37

The Team
Administrator

Good to hear that MOS was working the other day. I've missed windsurfing there and must get over. I'll keep an eye on that when it next looks good. Well done on the 'off the lip' any number of those can make a session worth while and of course keeping away from those ever-hungry rocks!

Good to see you at Southbourne on Saturday and thanks for the pics. Wind was a little bit illusive, I spent the whole time feeling  a little bit under done except for about 30 mins of full powered wind. Although equally never felt like rigging up would be worth it. Nevertheless, the waves were good during the low tide push and made most runs pretty exciting with the odd vertical ramp  coming through amongst the chop.

The tide was particularly strong though and battled against it all session.

I enjoyed that fun inside wave that breaks off the end of the middle groyne and especially the drop in, partly because of the proximity to the groyne then the push in to the bottom turn. It was almost working a bit better on Friday but there's room for a bottom turn and one top turn if you are quick and a very shallow ride on to the beach. Definitely adds to the fun when it's a summer swell without too much power. It's going to be my training aid for 360s hopefully!

Loads of us out. Busiest I've seen Southbourne in a long time.

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty

#5 2016-07-11 07:26:36

Charlie W

Southbourne today?

Highcliffe was looking pretty decent, almost cross shore shoulder high, with one Kiter out already.

Avon looking small maybe waist high out back at almost low tide.

#6 2016-07-11 09:20:10

The Team
Administrator

Yes - going to hit the water in 20 mins (about 10.40) The time is now really whilst the tide is reasonably low.

Yesterday the waves looked good at Avon, had an evening sesh at Southbourne last night when the wind picked up and the tide dropped riding waves on to the beach.

Anyway... hopefully see you out there.

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty

#7 2016-09-25 10:27:08

Charlie W

3-5ft at S'bourne right now. X shore-ish & sunny, gonna go 5.3 with 95 lt. Hope to see a someone out there!

#8 2016-09-26 08:19:04

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Charlie, gotchya! Nice session, saw you getting right involved with the peaks and troughs close to shore. You were getting some nice turns in right into the zone, good man! I was a little more standoff-ish and waited for the odd ramp and peak on the bar, quite few and far between but very worthwhile! I was trying out some different kit, was on 5.0 4 batten and 84l quad, quite a punchy comb, even though one rear fin was ruined on the shingle heading out. Had a dip at Avon on the way back home, very small waves but still going on the 5.0, some fun ramps to jump and clean lip hits on the odd set wave coming in, good old Avon, sunny too!

#9 2016-09-26 11:59:02

Charlie W

The wave at Avon had picked up nicely from 9am to when i checked on the way back at 5.30pm. After 5 hrs water time already though, no way was i going out again...Caught my best waves early on at low tide, carving real close in almost knocking out the spongers. Hell of a rinsing in the shore break as you finished but glad i didn't change down to 82lt as probably would've ended up bogging around too much like Clyde - on 5.0/85lt/Quad set up (& no blanking plate wtf!?).

#10 2017-05-22 06:29:09

MarkFre

There's nothing better than windsurfing on a sunny day.

Board footer