You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-18 19:40:00

The Team
Administrator

Calling all new Big Salty users

We look forward to hearing from any new user at Big Salty, so say your hellos here.

If you have any questions about the Big Salty weather or the best ways to use it for wind/ surf/ kite/ sail/ or just plain looking good - we want to hear them!

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty
Bigsalty Weather on Facebook
Bigsalty Weather on Twitter

#2 2011-02-25 10:20:27

aaronjalfaro

Re: Calling all new Big Salty users

New to site, just got 2nd hand kit For kiteboarding.

#3 2011-03-17 17:09:12

BigSaltyDog

Hi there!

Just been recommended the site by a friend. It is amazing! The weather reports are so accurate!
Im a dinghy sailor and travel a lot to events so this website is just what I need.

AND

By pure chance my lifelong nickname is SALTY! What a coincidence!

Dan

#4 2011-03-18 18:16:51

barny

Look like you've found yourself a good home. First thing you should do is set up some email alerts for your favourite locations. I've been using them for a while now and they are the best tool I've used...

Barny

#5 2011-04-28 10:31:11

Quilly

Hi, I have just completed my IKO level 2 in the warm waters of Sharm el Sheik and now raring to go on home turf in Poole Harbour.  Looks like some good wind this weekend so may be lucky.  Found this site on a search and thought it looked like it would be useful, so decided to give it a go.

#6 2011-04-29 08:40:43

The Team
Administrator

Nice, well I think you'll get out this weekend. It also looks like the next several days will be quite windy - perfect if you've got some time on your hands.

A quick note on the site, don't forget to check out the wind email alert system, which you can customise for any location on the database. If you are in to kitesurfing in waves then the swell charts will be really handy along with the spectral forecasts. Any questions, you have about the site give us a shout in the site help section of the forum.

Enjoy the weekend, going to hopefully make the most of it myself.

James

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty

#7 2011-05-14 10:09:07

smudge837

Hi all, Smudge here. born again windsurfer, seems like a lot of people i meet down in pool of a certain age are born again types. regular spot is Poole but looking at Portland as well.  see you all on the water, i'm the guy normally doing a catapult while still hooked in, followed by swimming and unsuccessful shallow water start.

#8 2011-05-16 17:36:48

jimmy
Administrator

I like the born again thing. It's a case of suddenly getting the time or money to get back in to it. And boy, what a difference it makes to livings. Next time I head to Poole I'll keep my eye out for the guy with the neck brace!

james

Get me some more waves...

#9 2011-12-17 21:24:30

chicha

Hi there!
a spanish newbie here...living in Haslemere and ready to start windsufing in the cold waters of england!
Starting to investigate where to go!!
cheers!

chicha

#10 2011-12-18 08:55:31

wood.olly

Hey, my parents live in Haslemere.  Your nearest spot is Hayling Island, i think.  The Witterings, in my opinion are better, West Wit being the better option over East, and worth the extra drive.  You could also check out Leep and Hill Head which are a bit more protected , by the Isle of Wight, if you like more chop hop than waves.  Head a little further west and you have my new haunt, Christchurch. The harbour is perfect for blasting when the tide is in, Avon and Mudeford are great and then Southbourne can be pumping when the waves are right.

Hope that helps for starters!

Olly

#11 2011-12-18 09:06:13

chicha

Thanks Olly!
it does indeed! Will have to start giving it a go to some of the ones you posted. Can't wait!

Chicha

#12 2012-02-17 11:12:23

aiizen

Hello!
Used to windsurf loads in Uni, but have slacked off a bit in the last year. Planning on getting properly on it now! Seems to going off next week, I'm assuming a lot of you will be out and about.

#13 2012-02-20 15:43:53

pete7

yeap! Wednesday's looking great down south. Glad to hear you are back on it. Should give us a shout here if you have any technique questions etc...related to getting back on top of things. It will be the case that someone here can help. I know the team at Big Salty are looking to pump things up a bit. Plus the guys who run it hang out with the top guys in the UK. So there should be good knowledge by association at least.

Where are you headed?

#14 2012-03-04 14:10:38

The Team
Administrator

Hello aiizen,
Let us know if you need any tips and advice. Will be going big this spring.

James

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty

#15 2012-09-13 15:17:35

JammyLuLu

Hi all,
another newby. I used to windsurf a million years ago at uni, and now I've taken up windsurfing in Cornwall again with these guys -
http://www.loebeach.co.uk/activities-lessons-and-courses/learn-to-windsurf-in-falmouth-cornwall. I'm more than a bit rusty, and have always been a bit of a fair weather type - so this site is great!!!
I'm just hoping for a couple more decent days before the weather turns nasty....

#16 2012-09-13 19:16:51

brooks

Good to hear you are back on the case and it's probably a smart move getting lessons. Removes the hassle and adds to motivation. Here's to a warm and windy Autumn!

#17 2012-09-15 09:32:23

The Team
Administrator

Welcome from the Team.

I think we have plenty of time left this year before the weather turns nasty and there's always that saying I like - "There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad preparation!"

At least wind chill down your way shouldn't be a problem for a while and sea temperature right now is as good as it gets so enjoy an extended season on the water.

Enjoy and let us know if you have any questions about the service.

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty

#18 2012-11-23 12:39:04

Kayakman

Hi. I am really pleased to find this site, as a very keen paddler/fisher, kayak (SOT). Virtually all year round so the forecasts are invaluable. I live very close to Felpham beach and it would be great to connect with any local kayakers. Regards Jeff.

#19 2012-11-24 10:15:19

The Team
Administrator

Hi Jeff. Good to have you using the website - what's Felpham beach like? Perhaps it's worth giving the beach it's own forecast because I've noticed we have closest Pagham & Littlehampton....

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty

#20 2012-11-24 13:03:31

Kayakman

Hi to the team and thanks for the return. Felpham beach is next east from Bognor Regis beach/slightly more shelterd. Compared to adjacent beaches its great for watersports as tide doesn't retreat very far so launching is easy up to 3-4 hours each side of high tide. Plus there are ramps each end of beach. Note for paddlers - fairly strong current east to west around high water so allow enough energy if  returning from westerly direction. Regards Jeff.

N.B. out yesterday in kayak but swell precluded fishing, Great fun though although pretty wet surfing back in , almost lost it but mild applause from promenade!

#21 2012-11-28 17:22:40

The Team
Administrator

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the extra information there. That will come in handy. Good to hear you are still out there catching fish off the kayak, I thought it was getting to cold for that ; )

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty

#22 2012-12-29 17:40:22

simon993c2s

Hello, New to the site. Windsurfer returning to the sport after 15yrs off. Great site, lots of advise needed for sailing locations in the North West. Im going to try Kinmel Bay tomorrow.

#23 2012-12-29 19:35:15

The Team
Administrator

Hi Simon,
Great to hear it. Keep us updated along the way and we'll do our best to give you advise on where to get in. I hope you get results tomorrow.... let us know.

James

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty

#24 2016-02-27 09:10:29

Lee83

Hi guys obviously new to this site..just got back in the uk (North Devon)with most of my toys from Greece .. Il be sailing saunton Tuesday/Wednesday as I don't have any transport at the moment to head further away from home... Wondering is there any other spot nearby saunton with more of an angle to the wind for some jumping .. It looks rather onshore in saunton ... Thanks guys hope to see you out on the water..

#25 2016-03-01 06:06:50

The Team
Administrator

We've got a nifty little onshore / offshore search tool on our global website: http://bigsalty.com/en/search/default/? … rection=11 Here's a link to a search around Saunton with a South Westerly.

A bit late for you now but worth knowing it is here. A bit late to reply on this one due to a month off in Sri Lanka, but back at the desk and firing on all cylinders. Hope to see you on the water soon.

James

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty

Board footer