You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-20 10:38:08

Lobsterfunkdaddy

location requests Spain

Hey BigSalty,
Any chance of adding some more spots for north Spain? If there are too many then the * ones would be top favs

CANTABRIA
San Vicente 43.393600, -4.371853 faces NNW Best wind WSW to WNW and NNE to NE
*Oyambre 43.394646, -4.334735 faces NE Best wind E to NE

Liencres 43.453288, -3.963987 faces NW best wind W-NW and NE

GALICIA

*San Xurxo 43.529810, -8.298778 faces NW Best wind SSW to WSW and NE to E
Doninos 43.494741, -8.320863 faces W Best wind SW to S and N to NE
Santa Comba 43.556492, -8.291560 faces N Best wind SW to W and NE to E
Ponzos 43.555710, -8.268164 faces NNW Best wind SW to W and NE to E

Traba 43.195931, -9.040907 faces NW Best wind NNE to ENE

Rostro 42.971827, -9.263066 face WNW Best wind SW and NE
Nemina 43.007734, -9.261286 faces WSW Best wind NE

*Carnota 42.832609, -9.108540 faces W Best wind SW to S and N to NE
Ancoradoiro 42.751870, -9.098047 faces SW Best wind WNW to NNW

We loved the BWA Tiree widget that you did - is there a way of making a user customisable version using our watchlist spots?

Thanks !!

Last edited by Lobsterfunkdaddy (2018-06-25 10:16:34)

#2 2018-06-20 20:19:51

The Team
Administrator

Re: location requests Spain

Lobster red daddy.
Absolutely, I'll make sure we get these added over the next week and confirm once set up.

When are you heading out there by the way? San Vicente was one of the spots we spent a couple of days at after our ferry trip to Santander and thoroughly enjoyed it. Kind of reminded me of the countryside from south west Ireland. Absolutely beautiful. Didn't get the wind, but waves were good.

Thanks for the nudge on the watchlist spot search. Server upgrade work is a current priority but that will be sliced in asap.

Hit the water the past few days? Clyde and I were forced to form creche club at Mudeford Sandspit because the wives were away at a Hen Do. It's a satire of a windsurfer's life. We're hustling sessions one to the next to stay sane.

The Big Salty TeamBig Forecasts, Big SaltyBigsalty Weather on FacebookBigsalty Weather on Twitter

#3 2018-06-21 10:02:20

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Beach creche eh? The weekend was great for getting on the water, we went to the infamous grommet spawning grounds at Calshot on the lagoon where middle son got the hang of beach starting and planing with front foot in strap. He's hooked now and we went down after skool on Monday for more. On Sunday we met up with some old friends who have boys the same age at a similar level. The peer group factor was amazing with the lads staying out for ages pushing each other to go faster and harder, probably the best motivation there is. I was planing in the gusts on 4.7, so twas a decent breeze and Theo went to a 6.2 then 7.5 for more power. He was pretty shocked at the speed! Your creche duties will hopefully morph into family water time soon, but no harm in perfecting your sand castle technique in the mean time!

That would be great on the spots. I'll try and edit the original post to add the optimal wind direction for each spot if that would help the back-office staff at BigSalty to optomise the algorithms. We're a few weeks off the trip, still trying to work out the best kit to take, it sounds like a spread of surf/windsurf/skim/sup would be prudent!

#4 2018-06-26 07:47:53

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Have added best wind directions to the original post, although once the spot locations alone on are BS I can setup custom alerts for best wavesailing. If I get really geeky I might set up another user account with a watchlist for surf/suprf and skim...and sleeping.

#5 2018-06-28 11:04:22

The Team
Administrator

I've got a picture on my notice board of one of the first times I planed  (fortunate enough to have it since I didn't get that many pics as a kid) but it's the raddest photo and gets me pumped about learning and teaching.

So I'm pretty excited hearing about your weekend sesh. Big ups to da youth!! If you hear of any beginner /intermediate gear lying around that is looking to be sold to a new owner let me know, I need to get some of my passively interested local hoodlums in to it.

All spots added and just sorting out the rating stuff. Very happy to help and excited about you getting some good use of the service out there. At the moment, the email alerts aren't configured for non UK locales. But.... I'm hoping I can do some mastery before you go (it's on the list of todos). When are you off off so I can work out whether the email alerts are doable?

The Big Salty TeamBig Forecasts, Big SaltyBigsalty Weather on FacebookBigsalty Weather on Twitter

#6 2018-07-02 14:56:33

Lobsterfunkdaddy

I've not seen or tried the Whipperkids windsurf kit but I reacon if you and Clyde clubbed together it could be great fun, maybe rivershak should get a demo one haha

Thanks for the spots being added.. You guys at BigSalty are the best!

#7 2018-07-05 14:38:46

The Team
Administrator

I was looking at the existing Tiree wave search system we have in place and figured out a few things that you may need to spice up your trip.

The ability to look a few days in advance at the regional locations and sort by rating type i.e. wave rating, down-the-line rating to see where to go. A few days in advance allows you to plan ahead for camping etc...

It's pretty much done now, got some tidying up of code and will release it as a new website feature next week. I'm actually pretty excited about it. It's the boiler plate for creating regional rating comparisons etc... and potentially extremely useful alongside the email alerts for helping us all get to better conditions more often.

I had a couple of questions about your 'Best Winds' above:
Oyambre. It looks like the best wind you've shown is onshore. Is this the case?
San Xurxo. Best wind offshore?
Nemina. Best wind offshore?

How it works with the rating systems. For 'Wind Rating', if the ratings are being set without local knowledge or experience of a location then we tend to increase priority for side-shore directions. All sailable directions will get 1 star, but offshore never unless there is a known feature for the location that makes this generally safe and worth the effort e.g. sandbar. Basically it's highly customisable so I will take in to consideration your answers to the above.

On top of the 'Wind Rating' system, we also have a best wind directions feature for the beach guide, but we won't fill these in just yet until we get some concrete info.

All 'Down-the-line' ratings have been set to favour cross-shore, cross-off wind directions with a swell within the beaches swell window. So these can be tweaked in future but have been set according to the lay of the land on Google maps.

#8 2018-07-09 19:38:48

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Wow the BS Team are really getting behind this -thank you! Yes being able to plan a few days ahead with the regional planner would be great and could save miles travelled.

Yes the default ideal wind direction should be sideshore unless on the ground reports say otherwise. Rumour has it that Oyambre gets a bit of a thermal effect in NE to E for some cross-on antics but leave the sideshore default in case a low pressure system visits. We're going to get to know this spot well in the second half of our trip so I'll report back.

San Xurxo looks very tasty in a NE direction, the headland to the north has a hill on the end and a low lying join, a bit like Hengistbury head so it should accelerate and be clean. Yes E could be a bit fruity. Ben has been just returned from there and his notes highlight the DTL potential there. I'll check with him if I can pass on further research notes.

Nemina looks pretty sheltered so its more of a SUP and surf spot There may be DTL potential in NE, albeit gusty - research needed.

Out of interest - Is there any factoring on the swell direction that allows for the wrapping effect on longer periods? eg the Bluff eventually gets a SW swell if the period is long enough eg above 10s.

#9 2018-07-19 14:45:13

The Team
Administrator

I'll refer to the ratings we did in relation to that.

You're going to be our on the ground researcher so let us know what you find out. All the Bigsalty Down-the-line Ratings factor in the wrapping of long period swells. E.g. For Avon Beach, west swells score low for periods under double figures. So we're on it already.

Made further tweaks to the new system and had a busy week or so with other work distractions, so publishing in the next few days now. I'll PM you to let you know.

#10 2018-07-22 06:43:21

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Awesome Boss, hope the upgrade goes smoothly. The new spots are already dishing out good data, looks like some great swell towards the end of the first week with some pre-wind spot checking in the meantime. Just hope the van makes it there!

#11 2018-07-23 21:02:35

The Team
Administrator

Good luck and enjoy the trip. Here's a link to the new rating searcher tool: https://bigsalty.com/en/windsurfing/rep … ern-spain/

All your locations have been added to a region called 'Northern Spain' and you can search the best ratings over the next 3 days by either the wind or down-the-line rating.

I hope you find this useful. More coming on it's usage soon.

Enjoy!

#12 2018-07-25 19:11:38

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Ok, we're on location now and thanks to big salty we have not wasted days chasing wind. The link works so I'll gat into it but initial look s amazing, loving the toggle between peak dots and cumulative dots, nice data presentation.

#13 2018-07-30 17:52:18

Lobsterfunkdaddy

So while you folk have been smashing up a glorious looking summer storm, the spot research has been continuing. The same storm triggered some interesting swell and wind figures in Galicia. We took 4 hour round trip to check out San Xurxo and Doninos only to find massive whiteout filling the bay and sketchy gusty wind. One dot rating, but would have been horrendous. Frustrated we headed back to camp and tried Carnota 10 mins away, it was amazing dtl, possibly worth 2 dots and the same again today, head high waves and gusty x-off wind enough to plane out back. It seems that finding a beach that can handle the swell is the.key. Carnota is sheltered from Cape finnistere for large swell so 3.3m @ 13 secs was head high. It felt like a happy blend of Gwithian beach break and easygoing Avon fun. The regional comparator has flagged up a possible 2 dot rating coming up so gonna watch that. Otherwise back to surfing, sup and mountain biking,  tough life!

#14 2018-07-31 11:19:08

The Team
Administrator

It sounds like it would be useful to have a swell limit in such circumstances whereby the dots could change colour (e.g. red) if the swell's in a certain range and above a certain height. From my experience of Portugal south of Lisbon, some bays were just too exposed or small to be sailable when the swell reached a certain height.

Thanks for the detail on the swell factors - its very useful, I'll try and access the historic info over the next week and take a little look how that related to the given ratings.

Glad to hear you have eventually found some down-the-line conditions and it sounds fantastic. Although we've had strong wind here, there have not been DTL conditions, at least near home. So wave sailing is like a lottery win as far as I'm concerned. Enjoy the surf, sup and mountain biking and hope to hear another report back soon.

ENjoy!

#15 2018-08-09 20:25:52

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Oyambre came up trumps today with 1.7m at 10secs creating a lovely birthday dtl session with 13 to 16 kts. Solid beach break affair, some rip but some tasty head high smacks, yum. Was touch and go following nasty nightime squall on the campsite, interrupted sleep with near canvass take off. It's busier here and I'm missing the delights of Ancoradoira, she's a stunner.

#16 2018-08-10 07:32:44

Charlie W

Nice dude. Glad you're scoring it.

#17 2018-08-15 06:14:09

The Team
Administrator

Having a loose, conceptual chat with Graham Ezzy about what Galicia would be like this weekend 17th-19th (I don't think I have the necessary resources to get out there ) but certainly looks from the Bigsalty DTL ratings that somethings happening on Friday and Saturday.

What are your thoughts on the forecast given what you've experienced?

Hope you're having a ball.

#18 2018-08-18 12:56:54

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Sadly back home now but  Yep looks pretty epic for Saturday at San Xurxo the 13sec period might be on the upper limit of the wave volume the bay can cope with. It was 13 sec 3m the day we saw the bay just as white water. The other caution I would add was that where we were based at Carnota the GFS27km wind forecast wasn't that accurate, possibly because of thermal interferance. Some days no wind was forecast and it reached 15kts, other day 14kts was forecast but it was calm. The timings could also be 6 to 8 hours out of sync. It didn't match well like here in the UK.

#19 2018-08-18 12:59:48

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Oh the wave forecasting was very accurate, great to use. I've got some video footage from the trip, should give an idea.

#20 2018-08-21 08:32:44

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Link to video here: https://youtu.be/fZmQ_G6Igi0
There were 2 days at Carnota, Sunday 29th and Mon 30th July. Sunday was forecast as (I think, blurred memory) 3m@13secs with 12kts SW wind. This was the day we drove to San Xurxo (forecast at 14kts, we wanted to find the best wind possible) but it was just whitewater and went home to find great conditions on our doorstep. We hadn't really discovered Ancoradoira at this point but I think the wind would have been too onshore and spoilt the waves. However at Cornota the waves were excellent. The wind was gusty from the SW, it was a bit float and ride but planning out back. No jumping, as I mentioned it felt like gwithian. The ratings had one dot, but it was great fun. I guess its best to be cautious on the ratings and because the wind was gusty the single dot is perhaps fair for that session. However if it was a 2 dot rating, I would not have been disappointed.

On Monday the forecast was for the wind to drop early morning so we set out to visit Santiago de Compostella. However shortly after setting off, the other half spotted white caps in the Ria and we diverted to Carnota where it was the same fun conditions until late afternoon.  Some beach info blurb: Carnota is a 6km long crescent shaped beach, the longest in Galicia. There are 3 or more access options, each with modest parking capacity and fresh showers. The southern end has rocky outcrops which are obvious at low tide. The middle car park has good access to the beach where the waves break in a typical beach break fashion. Offshore there are a number of rocky outcrops that shelter the beach from the full swell height and to the north cape Fisterra filters NW swells. SW winds are normally generated by atlantic weather systems with cross to cross-off wind blowing across rocky hills that could be a little gusty but very useable. NE wind can be thermally reinforced with a saddle in the nearby hills offering potential for acceleration. The northern access by the river mouth provides scope for utilising the crescent shape to find different wave and wind angles and further shelter from NW swells. A lagoon at high tide offers flat water potential when the waves suffer in quality as with many beach breaks at high tide. With the shelter from full swell this spot is well worth considering if the swell is too much for other beaches.

As for Ancoradoira this is just gorgeous with the white sand and Louro mountain providing a stunning backdrop to the best waves in this Ria. I'm not sure how it would cope with a big swell, but it seemed to pick up the smallest swell and make fun times for all. Swell height of 1m and period above 8 secs would be a good starting point. With steep mountains so close to the coast, the funneling and thermal effects seem to mess with the forecast wind strength and direction. Although a NE wind would appear offshore, it bends to crosshore so I would hesitate to get too analytical with ratings. More of a hidden gem that might reveal her secrets to a lucky windsurfer.

We never went to Rostro as it is rated a dangerous beach for swimming. I suspect it is very exposed and gets out of control quickly but probably picks up the smallest swells.

Nemina was stunning with great surf again picking up the smallest swells. Lots of nearby hills would certainly yield gusty wind.

Oyambre beach was interesting, very busy with surf camps and sunbathers when we were there in peak seasion. No video footage but 9.8.18 was a very good float and ride dtl windsurfing day, with port tack head high waves, some good peeling waves with punchy sections. The beach is dominated by the river mouth that generates a rip towards nasty rocks - there is plenty of space, but in NW direction worth being cautious. On 10.8.18 I used the 7.5 freeride kit in marginal NE wind, cross on from the right. The wind swell built quickly in the bay and reminded me of southbourne in that respect. With the wind against the incoming tide and rip into the river mouth, it was far more relaxing. I picked up a few swell lines in the bay and blasted at full tilt right into the rivermouth fanging out hard on the walling up faces. In stronger wind these cross-on conditions would be great fun with the river mouth offering mutliple jumping ramps. Worth keeping an eye on if passing by, along with Gerra and St Vincent. I'd strongly recommend a canoe trip down the Deva river if in the Picos.

The trip was overall a success yielding 5 windsurf days in 3 weeks, there may have been a few more marginal days but we did other things too. A lot of surfing and suprfing. I think we were unlucky with the wind as we had this daft heatwave. The Ferrol area probably is still the best place to focus attention on for windsurfing but the Rias to the south certainly having plenty to offer. Thanks for all the spots on BS, it was great to have the familiar forecasting data available while exploring new spots. The comparison widget is very powerful and useful although the underlying dot ratings are critical to differentiating the spots, really coming into its own when there is decent wind available.

Last edited by Lobsterfunkdaddy (2018-08-21 08:35:09)

#21 2018-09-10 21:14:29

The Team
Administrator

Hi chief,
Thanks for taking the time to compile this info - I'm going to take as much of this onboard and over the next couple of months start compiling what I can into the beach guides. So thanks for being thorough, it's all very helpful. Setting the ratings is indeed a challenge, mainly the concept is: set the sailable wind and swell angles and then the harder bit - determine the scale of the different variables that light the place up. Of course certain beaches need to be visited and studied for any hope of it being accurate but equally sometimes there are simple observations that can make the performing swell and wind characteristics clearer. e.g. topology, or indeed topography and exposure to swell. Work in progress!

I'd be interested to talk about any inaccuracies in the wind forecast for your stay when we next catch up, particularly how it compared to alternative GFS forecasts. I know you mentioned there were a few areas that could be improved. When I was touring Portugal earlier in the year, I found it pretty accurate but it could be localised weather was throwing things out in the hotter weather. A chat over a beer would be revealing me thinks.

Great video by the way. Galicia really looks like the perfect holiday set up - clear waters, blue skies, seemingly away from the crowds and a whole heap of fun. You guys certainly managed to make the most of the area and make the most of the surf with the boys getting some good waves in (even little Luke)!!

Ancoradoira beach looks like a dream spot, light wind down the line wave riding. Starboard tack. Look at that water colour! Wowaaaaa!!! Good inspiration.

Meanwhile, stuff has been pretty busy recently, so when not dealing with urgent work stuff I've been trying to get as deep under water as possible looking for dinner for my yang to the yin and been behind with the community side of things, so glad to get back on it and apologies for the delay in replying. Now we're coming in to some wind, I'm looking forward to prepping for the up-coming comps and getting back in the killer mind-set. Hope to get out tomorrow around 1pm in fact...

Board footer