You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-08 13:50:10

The Team
Administrator

Winter Revelry

Since the two days prior to the Avon Classic things have seemed pretty quiet. I didn't managed to get out early enough to catch the Monday morning but hopefully it didn't go to waste with you guys.

Despite nursing the youngsters of the house for the past couple of weeks with all manner of flus and bugs I managed to slip away yesterday,  albeit too late for the main event, to the beautiful and elusive Kimmeridge bay. Turned up with only an hour of light to spare (such is the way at the moment) greeted by a number of the boys packing up their gear with smiles on their faces. It was such a treat to finally get to the shore after the traffic (I swear it's getting worse - if anyone has a better way than past Bournemouth university / Wareham I'd like to hear it) that the thought of just grabbing a couple of waves felt like a bloody good deal.

Picture this: sun setting, nice head high super clean cross-offshore waves breaking on the ledges, picturesque scenery, massive windsurfing hunger. I managed to pick up a few smooth swells and ride them to the inside. Unfortunately, they weren't really breaking with much power but it didn't stop me giving them a good go over. It felt like the first windsurf in years. Anyway, decided a few was enough and swam in to de-rig in the dusk.

Joining the dots, I'd say it was pretty damn good earlier on. I heard from the boys it was gusty but I reckon the waves must have been nice.

Anyway, looking forward.... Sunday could be the day to right all wrongs. It's been a while since I've sampled Southbourne so planning to head there with Avon / kimbo as possible runner ups depending on wind angle changes. I know the coastal engineers have provided a few obstacles which might realistically make the attempt a little less than relaxing but hopefully there will be enough space for launch (they have temporarily reduced the width of the bays by half near the cliff top).

Hopefully see you out there, but if you get this, let us know where you're off to.

The Big Salty TeamBig Forecasts, Big SaltyBigsalty Weather on FacebookBigsalty Weather on Twitter

#2 2017-12-09 23:11:07

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Re: Winter Revelry

Well the tree is fully adorned with lights for navigation through the festive period, even the youngest of the family getting excited about the whole thing. Hope yours are mended and getting the yule-tide vibe. I'm going to be following the star west towards the sandy shores of Dorset on Sunday, a familiar journey for the red toy sled. One such mission was an early raid on Avon on Thursday morning which landed an hour of full power 4.2 cross-on action followed by a 4.7 x-off session after the wind direction veered more westerly. A double session at the same spot. Once it went completely I tried to surf at the Big H but at slap on high tide it was tough getting out and the close-outs pretty harsh, still good swimming practice. The forecast looks sweet for so many spots tomorrow its going to be hard to pick, Avon being a likely candidate but SB would be the one for the real thrills and spills depending on the tide/sand bar situation. Bring it on!

#3 2017-12-16 19:43:06

matman

Near on surfperfection tues not the biggest but perfectly formed faces spent most of it on yellows which made up for a couple sessions on B muff pier which I picked a dink in my board and a bruise on my side shame really the wave is pretty good but every wave is a party wave I end up just not enjoying myself .

#4 2017-12-17 12:46:00

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Ooh ruff stuff at the pier, shame. Sunday was an amazing morning at Avon, decent waves but very gusty wind. Cross-off and ended in swim back when the front went through. Saw some great piccies of bubble but they're not on the web yet, possibly best piccie of an aerial I've seen at avon. I should have stuck around for a surf but went to the Big H where it was  massive and closing out. After 2 hours on the mini-mal I caught nothing and finally had to dodge my way through the minefield to come in. Tuesday though was a different game, sunshine, smooth faces and some good rides, much better conditions for my fledgling surf technique. Had I not smashed up the sup on the rocks a fortnight before I would have missed out on the real deal surfing the mini-mal for 4 hours and really making some progress. Friendly crew as ever on the water but I'm beginning to appreciate the subtleties of being in the water surfing rather than stood up on the sup. As ever the BS email alerts punctuating my life on land to keep the hunger for the next session, be it in or on the water..

#5 2017-12-23 23:37:57

The Team
Administrator

My hunger is increasing for the next sesh. All this Christmas build up of consumption is making me realise I need some dunkings and excitement back in my life. Anyway looks like we're going to get it over the next week.

Kimmeridge, great. Avon great. Pleased to hear they were going off. Keen to see some piccies of Avon too if they ever surface. I can report Southbourne is feeling a little bit like some sort of beach landing invasion and I'm not really feeling it. Now the beaches have been divided in half, things are pretty precarious for launching and the risk of loosing kit. The next mistake could be expensive.

The last session, I think the Sunday you're referring too, there was so much water moving around if you fell in within 20 yards of the beach it was looking very hard to avoid getting dragged on to the groynes.

In fact a few guys were out windsurfing (including myself) and that very thing happened to one of them. Luckily, whilst having his kit wrapped on the uptide side. He somehow got lucky and it bounced round in the wind (in about 40 kts)! I think he suffered a few dings to the board but nothing major. We'll have to see how that pans out.

Anyway, good luck all with your wave and wind hunting over the remainder of 2017. Looking forward to striking gold.

The Big Salty TeamBig Forecasts, Big SaltyBigsalty Weather on FacebookBigsalty Weather on Twitter

#6 2017-12-26 11:53:46

Charlie W

Great day that at Southbourne & yea one heck of a rip on the inside. Managed to miss the groynes as i was further down, where it was still just one set of them.

Btw, doesn't KBay merit more than 0 stars from 6am to 12pm tomorrow? Strong NW'ly with decent swell so great side shore DTL, no?

#7 2017-12-27 19:03:52

matman

Great surf at highcliffe with lines all the way to the horizon great period too, not sure why Milford wave bouy always seems to have a better period than any where else .

#8 2017-12-27 20:27:31

The Team
Administrator

Good score on Highcliffe. I saw some really nice lines in the bay. Had I not been spent I would have been tempted to jump in.

I took a trip to Kimmeridge on an exploratory mission (because of the wind direction - see below) and can report it was about head high, maybe a little more on the sets but with a very westerly pull to the swell, so much so it was only really breaking quite far down the ledges away from the bay. That was between 9 and 10.30 am

I ended up going partly because of Charlie's question that he posed last night, and partly because I needed to purge all the consumption and comfort from the past few days. That particular zero star on the wind rating was because it was NNW on the forecast for those hours. I've always considered this too offshore to be worth the trip (NW has always been great but NNW not so). However, the fact is that it IS sailable but just very, very gusty. I went with Clyde and we were hitting wind lines where there would be nothing, then about 35 kts! SO there was a lot of time drifting in the water waiting for wind to arrive. As the day progressed, the wind swung back round which would have helped, but by then we were sitting in front of a fire drinking ale in Church Knowle.

It's a wind direction that deserves care and attention on a day as cold as today so no deep sea trips, but I'll set it to 1 star for such an occasion in future to indicate that it is indeed sailable. I hope that didn't throw your plans too much - did you get out?

Bloody cold. Had a 15 minute spell of hot hands, crouched on the car park floor with my hands in the air grunting like a dog. There was a large group of elderly hikers that didn't know what to think.

#9 2017-12-28 13:14:33

Charlie W

Thought discretion was the better part of valour & chickened out. Good job on checking it out thou & Happy Birthday. Looks like a tasty late delivery from Santa coming up.

#10 2017-12-28 13:42:53

matman

When I got out just starting to go dark took my gloves off and lost all feeling in my hands that and it was to dark to see the numbers on my keysafe had to get some kind preson one with a phone light to open it for me. Was Kbay busy ?No leftovers this morning just as well as it was freezing first thing .

#11 2017-12-29 20:21:27

The Team
Administrator

cool cool. When we were there it was empty save for one other windsurfer. A couple of canoeists turned up as we were leaving but I heard a few other folk turned up later.

Quite nice to get away from all the crowds and have a bit of peace and quiet over the christmas period.

Ha ha, yes I though I had problems trying to press the buttons on the mast extension to detach my sail from my board but at least I could get in the van and warm up first. I wouldn't want to be struggling with a keysafe before getting to first base.

Plenty on it's way though over the next few days, it's looking good for a surfed out new year's celebration.

#12 2018-01-02 09:25:21

matman

Started off at Avon, you try and get a wave or two as the rip takes you down the beach only to get out and do it again .Wind dropped and it cleaned up so had a look at Highcliffe for a while the biggest sets I have seen down there got one or two off the groyne but they mostly closing out the inside was like being in a washing machine and no fun ended up going right to the next groyne for a much more manageable wave size had dropped right out when I left and looked pretty fun if a not a little busy.

Last edited by matman (2018-01-02 09:27:37)

#13 2018-01-02 12:36:24

KendallC

I would have thought so too, Charlie. Not sure how that's zero stars but hey, I'm no expert I guess. Good luck to everyone during the last few days of current year, like admin said.

#14 2018-01-02 21:35:20

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Its firing on all cylinders at the moment. Christmas Day and Boxing Day at Avon in the fading light for an hour of full on madness. Boxing day was cross-on but a good laugh anyway The 27th looked totally stonking for surf, glad you got out, but my next opportunity was a quick mellow SUP on the 28th. Small waves but peeling really nicely down off Naish bank at highcliffe, the SUP now watertight again and reveling in the shifting peaks and slack waves.

The New Year weekend saw full utilisation of the Big Salty spot guides and The Angle Grinder with a trip down west. Friday and Saturday saw work,travel and family banter dispatched leaving Sunday free to quest out perfection and in BS terminology "explore orientation" ahem. There was certainly some swinging going on, with the forecast westerly swell actually arriving as SW and hence reaching nicely into Mounts Bay. The wind and swell built to some epic cross-on conditions with some gnarly logo to mast high beach break rumblers. I stayed a little too long before checking The Bluff which had received some reasonable swell on the rising tide, surprising though due to the SW direction but the long period probably helping it to refract round into St Ives bay. By the time I got out there the beach was small with significant consequences on the rocks either side so after a handful of choppy waves I ran off tail between legs. Monday was a dillema with Mazza touting NW DTL perfection but in the wrong travel direction for home but also KBay looking like all time classic Bench perfection. With some nail-biting logisitics the sunshine arrived with perfect NW wind and stonking swell to deliver utter K-Bay Bench perfection for 3 hours. Cann't believe there are more conditions on the way!

#15 2018-01-12 12:38:35

funkstardeluxe

Gents. Looking at the SE'ly coming over. Is it a write off or can we expect to see something sailable and fun over the weekend. I'll be in the New Forest so Avon is ideal, but of course, further afield could also be of interest. Kimmeridge, perhaps?

#16 2018-01-12 13:44:11

The Team
Administrator

I'd be making plans for Kimmeridge (if I could get away).  https://bigsalty.com/en/weather/forecast/4/

It's going to be cross shore port tack with a SW ground swell. Just for the hell of it, on the Kimmeridge forecast linked above click on the 'DTL Rating' radio button at the top of the forecast. The two stars that then show next to the hourly forecast indicates GAME ON.

Also, there will be port tack conditions at highcliffe, milford on Sea and to an extent southbourne. But in order of conditions I'd probably consider:

1. K Bay
2. Highcliffe / Milford On Sea
3. Southbourne / Hengistbury head.

Let us know how you get on. I'm currently trying to sort plans now too...

LobsterDaddy -  good to hear about your exploits over the last couple of weeks. Shame I couldn't get out to the Bench to join in on the party. Including as well the Avon sesh's. I've been a bit out of luck with my availability so been groyne dodging at Southbourne this whole time (apart from a quick sesh at Highcliffe).

I had agreed with Lucy to do work on the van on Saturday, but this forecast may well put the brakes on that. What are you doing?

#17 2018-01-12 14:03:32

funkstardeluxe

Excellent stuff. I did see the two star rating and have been reading both your and the windsurf.co.uk beach reports and was surprised at the lack of excitement at the usual locations (boards forum, here, Avon Beach Surfers etc etc).

One last question: When would you recommend the best time to be sailing?? It's about 1h drive for me so not too horrendous. Presumably it's going to be good all day so it's a case of making the most of the wind? I imagine i'll be frozen/broken after a couple of hours so want to time it well.

#18 2018-01-12 16:21:27

The Team
Administrator

I guess sometimes the SE winds don't get picked up on people's radar on the south coast, when we are all going crazy for something with a  south and a west in it.

Just checked the forecast data again and my only question mark would be whether that swell pushes in (although my gut feeling is it will). If I get the free time handed to me I'll be there, since for my miles, it's the best chance of quality down-the-line wave riding. Go in the morning for the stronger wind and low tide pushing and it's going to be a ledges session (or yellows a bit further upwind).

For a 1 hour drive (it's about the same for me coming from Bournemouth next door!) it's got to be worth it. If you are up early and arrive around dawn you'll likely avoid the parking fee (about £5).

I think I should point out though that if you were toying with the idea of going to Wales. I'd say that Llangenith (Gower) would be firing, cross-off down the line. (I've scheduled the inclusion of the logic for the DTL rating for Llangenith for later this evening to illustrate).

#19 2018-01-12 20:03:53

funkstardeluxe

Had a long think and going to go to highcliffe. I am worried I'll be sailing alone and not sure my feeble city boy physique will be up to a long swim in when I get rinsed. If you guys all head out have an awesome one.

#20 2018-01-12 23:35:14

The Team
Administrator

I'm sure you'll have a good one - enjoy!

#21 2018-01-14 20:34:33

Charlie W

Watching that big x-shore Highcliffe sesh with the Motley Crew et al was great, even though i'd just lost 15 hundred quids worrh of kit. I also scored that magic NYD Bench sesh along with ~15 others. First wave on it & had to let FunkyLobster take the glory of a mast high beaut, which he'd been gunning on from far out. Woe betide me if i'd taken that one.

Now bring on the North Westerlies. Could be stuck at KBay a while...

Last edited by Charlie W (2018-01-14 20:47:12)

#22 2018-01-15 09:31:24

matman

Some great surfs at Kbay this week really good yesterday and made the most of it as I  knew the weather was going tits up. Where are the crowds coming from car parks full spoke to someone who driven down from London. Saw someone carrying two halves of their SUP  back from Yellows.Bench looked good but quite a few were saying it was off limits but no red flags but thought I saw the range wardens later on.

#23 2018-01-17 17:44:21

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Well well well, what a couple of days. The forecast models sort of got it right but that WNW wind was very gusty. Frontal I think is the word, and it was pretty full on at times too. I had a cat and mouse game with other commitments and left things too late on Monday. Looks like Charlie and the crew had the best of it at Avon.On Tuesday a similar pattern of phaffing took place, watching live weather data for some hope. In the end I checked the live rain radar on netweather.tv and spotted what I thought would be a sunny spell for a couple of hours. Desperation took hold and I wobbled out at MoS in blind hope that something would happen. After 20 mins of float and ride on that tasty section at the end of the beach huts, a squall hit and the following hour was a roller coaster of missed sections, brutal gusts and general mayhem. But the waves were good on the falling tide and somehow I managed to land a backie, albeit with front foot in the water and sailed away. The wooping might have been heard on the IoW. Strange how much less complicated it is when you get a move right, think maybe I was trying too hard before. Looking forward to the next opportunity. Cold hands were a feature with the Big Salty wind-chill-ometer useful for calibration.

Wednesday again showed promise on the forecast, in the end it was Southbourne that came up trumps. A magic hour with sunshine, falling tide and an incredible long period swell hitting the sand bar. I've never seen such amazing waves there, well over head high, possibly logo but they tended to close out. Just three braves soles headed out and scored some great waves before the frontal scenario brought an end to the wind. Again the throbbing thawing fingers were a feature but well worth it all.

#24 2018-01-17 19:34:00

Charlie W

We always get the Close Outs!

My turn at MoS today in front of camera. Got a few big ones early on, just after 12, on 4.7/95 but waves dropped off by 1, with the decreasing wind. Had lunch then went back out from 2-3.30 on 5.3 - & Bingo wind, waves 'n sun all picked up again for a golden last hour, on the drop. Was getting decent Rockets & head high+ rides again. Top drawer.

#25 2018-01-17 21:39:21

Lobsterfunkdaddy

It was a really tough call, SB or MOS, I just had a thought that SB might be more exposed and the waves were a little confused the day before at MoS But so glad you scored it!! With jumping too. I must have only just missed you as it looked good for a dble dip when I swung by at about 3:45. Looking forward to the piccies.

Board footer