You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-12 08:51:34

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Great Start to Autumn

Wow, that was good! Mixed emotions about the storm brewing abilities of the Atlantic thouhgh. Didn't see much of it last year but boy those hurricanes look nasty. Great to see all the local crowd celebrating with a good thrash at Avon. Not quite the introduction to the season, something more gentle would have been appreciated. The standard of sailing seemed to have stepped up with lots of forwards and some great wave riding especially from CW. The Boss was on fire with some massive stunts pretty close in, flashing the dayglo Ezzy to good effect. Kbay the next day was great too, not so much to see from the spectator gallery with the action at yellows. When I got out the wind had moderated a tad and in close under the cliffs was a bad place to be. Actually found the sweetest rides in the bay with some super buttery faces and clean hits. Hungry for more now!

#2 2017-09-15 16:31:41

The Team
Administrator

Re: Great Start to Autumn

A great session it was. Ugly weather but it didn't dampen the spirit. It's always great to see it so busy at Avon and there was always something to watch. Good to see you having it Reuben.

Managed to pick up two K Bay sessions myself this week. I'm so glad I went. It's just a step up when it's a westerly with more waves to ride and more jumps it seems. If the tide is right at Southbourne, I'd be hard pushed to leave, but the waves just weren't cleanly breaking when it was my time to play. I agree about the inner bay at K bay, I had an absolute beauty peeler with a clean face. Small, only about waist to shoulder but open to multiple top turns on a smooth track.

It looks like you guys had a good Highcliffe sesh too. How did it compare to the other days events?

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty
Bigsalty Weather on Facebook
Bigsalty Weather on Twitter

#3 2017-09-16 19:53:53

Charlie W

Shame you couldn't make it three on Thursday hey. Suspect it was pretty epic too...but yeah Highcliffe turned out real good with an incredible turnout from 9 'till 3.30 - Windies outnumbering the Surfers! Was on the water by 9.30 with Chris & Leo, planning ok on 5.2/95 in side shore pretty clean up to shoulder high. But wet front soon came through killing it off with me furthest out, unable to waterstart & no uphaul. So in the sink for 20 mins drifting out or hopefully to the Barton rocks. So just stay calm & the wind returned on cue per Big Salty. Phew. So managed to beat back up to the Groynes. & from then pure magic.

It was still breaking at up to head high at 3.30pm but imagine KBay was more like Logo & cleaner - which it certainly was for the Monday afternoon sesh & by then side shore, sunny. 9 of us scoring Yellows perfection. Only regret was not firstly going with that 4.7 sail choice (got skunked on 4.2).

Thursday was side shore Milford. 5.2/95 all day. 1st couple of hours quite up & down, so hard work staying upwind. Powered up ~70% of the time so enough to get a few sweet top to bottom return rides on quite clean thigh to chest high. By about 2 the wind had picked up & could've been on 4.7. Biggest set waves increased a touch too with that added windswell & rockets became easy. Need to work on the rotations...

FB_IMG_1505510330271.jpg

FB_IMG_1505510297450.jpg

Last edited by Charlie W (2017-09-16 20:05:06)

#4 2017-09-17 14:10:45

Lobsterfunkdaddy

Nice piccies Charlie - Wednesday at the big H was one of my favourite sessions. I got rinsed and mashed up so many times in that churning sand bank break, plenty of swimming but no damage luckily. Down off Naish bank there were some pretty punchy sections, but very often not from the swell line being riding in - so a little hard to get the best placement. But on a couple of occasions it all came together for some terrific lip hits, like the piccie above. There were good jumping ramps with one backie attempt unfeasibly close to sailing away - how tantalising this game can be! My wet forwards didn't really quench the thirst for nailing the backloop. Being the neap tide before autumn equinox the tidal range was only 90cm from low to high tide and that just seemed to suit the sand banks and wave climate perfectly. As James says, not a low enough tide to make Southbourne work. There was still a significant longshore rip especially at Naish so getting going on the inside needed a lucky gust to hit the best ramps (5.0/84l was fine for me). It was great to sail with the local crew during the day, very social. Ben and Nic brought fresh energy later on with some great wave riding and aerial moves respectively. Thursday I eyeballed MoS, but with raw hands and the air temperature at morning low, my shore duties had a greater appeal. Which of course I now regret missing out on! The long range synopsis hints of a traditional stormy autumn with the "North Atlantic Oscillation" looking more active than last year with less high pressure "blocking". Lets hope so!

#5 2017-09-18 15:28:36

The Team
Administrator

Makes good reading boys. Nice to find out there's been so many different spots pumping for the wave/wind conoisseurs. You boys are going off!!!

I think I need to put Highcliffe back on the priority list and I'm starting to break too much gear in the Southbourne shorebreak - risk / reward ratio at a low point.

Looking ahead we do appear to have a very unsettled patch on its way, and I'm getting itchy about hitting the road. Given the rate that the van conversion is progressing I think the next forecast at Highcliffe might be the perfect distance! Good news on the North Atlantic Oscillation I'd say - last winter was 99% windy 1% of the time.

The Big Salty Team
Big Forecasts, Big Salty
Bigsalty Weather on Facebook
Bigsalty Weather on Twitter

Board footer